Who doesn’t love spinach? If you’ve ever seen Popeye, you know dark, leafy greens like spinach are loaded with energy. Well, it’s loaded with vitamins, like K & A, and iron and can even be a good source for calcium and fiber! But sometimes eating raw spinach in a salad can be boring and while that steakhouse side of creamed spinach is delicious, not always the best for you. So given the abundance of spinach at Kellner Back Acre Gardens, I sought a recipe that lightened up cream spinach that you could try this week. Be sure to visit us on Saturday at the Farmer’s Market in Manitowoc or stop by the farm to get some fresh spinach!
Creamed Spinach (adapted from Kales & Cupcakes blog)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 12 oz. spinach
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 oz. light cream cheese
- 3 tbsp. parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add spinach, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cream cheese to skillet.
- Cover and allow spinach wilt 3-5 minutes. Stir to melt cheese occasionally.
- Pour the mixture into the casserole dish. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes or until lightly browned.